British Sign Language Support Worker
Full-time/PAYE Monday to Friday – 40 hours
British Sign Language Support Worker
Company based in Upminster, Essex, with work locations anywhere within reasonable travelling distance.
About Positive Signs
At Positive Signs, British Sign Language is our business. We are a Deaf-led company providing a customised range of services within a customer-driven environment.
Since 2004, we have been an established provider of communication services, supplying language service professionals such as BSL/English Interpreters and Communication Support Workers. We manage and provide ongoing delivery of support, utilising Disabled Students Allowance and Access to Work. We provide accredited British Sign Language courses, approved by the awarding body Signature, plus our own robust package of Deaf Awareness Training on-site / online and remotely.
- Provide a wide range of BSL / English support in person and remotely.
- To undertake bookings as required, relevant to experience and skillset and reasonable
- Accurately communicate information between languages, using cultural mediation when
Main duties and responsibilities
The post holder is expected to:
- Communicate between British Sign Language and English professionally, accurately, correctly and whilst monitoring understanding language needs and modulating service delivery.
- Ensure there is a constant smooth communication flow for clients.
- Undertake preparation to become familiar with a given setting or topic.
- Brief Deaf person and colleagues on the role, ethics and function of your role as and when
- Intervene appropriately to assist communication or to correct errors misunderstanding and culturally mediate to resolve communication difficulties.
- Work flexibly and responsively as required to meet Positive Signs business needs.
- Maintain the quality of own work and ascertain competence for the needs of the assignment by engaging with all participants.
- Inform participants immediately when unsure or possibly incompetent to provide BSL support, for any reason, and notify Positive Signs office accordingly.
- Comply fully with all booking needs, such as arriving at least 15 minutes in advance of the appointment, on the right date and at the right place to provide professional services as required by the booking.
- Represent Positive Signs in a professional manner at all times, including dress in appropriate attire and being able to provide identification with NRCPD badge if applicable and always with a Positive Sign ID badge whenever carrying out working duties.
- Maintain records of assignments in working diary provided, and complete a timesheet for certain tasks.
- Attend relevant training events and Positive Signs related meetings as required and to maintain CPD.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
This role will be suitable for a Communication Support Worker, looking to move into the wider world of BSL interpreting
- Experience of providing BSL/English communication support in a customer/service-focused environment.
- Experience of supporting Deaf adults in the workplace.
- Understand Deaf culture and local communities.
- Understand principles and importance of confidentiality.
- Be aware of issues affecting Deaf people’s access to the employment sector.
- Comply with Equality / Diversity aand GDPR legislation and practice.
- A good level of written and spoken English.
- Minimum Level 3 BSL qualification.
- Able to recognise people’s beliefs, preferences and choices regardless of ethnic origin, disability, age, gender, sexual choices, faith, social or cultural background.
- Able to use professional methods and reporting procedures to deal with conflict arising from difficult situations (e.g. racism, stereotyping, and complaints).
- Reliable, punctual and flexible.
- Sensitivity and understanding.
- Patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Team Player.
- Able to manage, prioritise and organise own workload as required.
Information and Knowledge – Information Processing
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office applications or equivalent.
- Familiar with web-based access software including Zoom and Facetime.
Payment will be £ 27.000 per annum.
This post attracts benefits and 25 days annual leave.
Positive Signs Ethos
Positive Signs are proud of the fact that our core business is about enabling others to improve their equal opportunities practices. We adopt the same ethos in-house and are proud to be an equal opportunity/Disability Confident employer.
Declaration of Interests
If any person working for Positive Signs Ltd has a controlling and/or significant financial interest in a business including another Interpreting provider/ supplier/ colleague and must declare it, or notify the Director.
Any interests should be declared to the Director, either on starting employment or on acquisition of the interest.